If you care about your choice of Backpack, there has never been a better time to get a new one. Design, innovation and tech integration have all been stepped up to cater for any type of connected traveller as manufacturers put our gadgets at the forefront of their designs.
Knomo are no strangers to high end luggage, but their current venture on Kickstarter has possibly the most “one size fits all” design for a Backpack I have seen and even has added tech powered by Chipolo!
I agree that everyone has different tastes in style and even if on first impression you feel the #LiveFree might not be for you, ask yourself this.
Could you use it for work? Yes, formal or casual, it works. A weekend getaway? Sure, smart yet casual! A day pack for the beach? Why not, the fabric is waxed cotton and repels water. The more I look at it, I think I would happily use the #LiveFree for any situation and that is testament to the design, but under the rugged exterior this is a tech savvy Pack.
There have been packs that can charge your devices before. They usually have a solar panel strip on the top, or a cable poking out somewhere to plug your device into, but the #LiveFree has a patent pending device to deliver wireless charging from the one of side pouches.
The Samsung S6 & 7 are both supported as is the newly released S8. Although iPhone do not currently support wireless charging, Knomo have you covered. They have a phone case for the 6, 6S and 7 which assists the handset with wireless charging! It is widely rumored the next gen iPhone (8) may well come with support for wireless charging.
A look at any other Knomo piece will tell you that Knomo take the internal storage areas of their luggage seriously. The #Livefree is no different. Amazingly Knomo claim the average person spends 10 minutes a day searching for lost items, so a well arranged Backpack can help keep your items within easy reach.
The separate laptop section can protect up to a 15.6″ laptop, and has a second pocket in the same section for your tablet. There is also an RFID protected pouch for your wallet and passport.
As mentioned above, Chipolo have joined force with Knomo to help those who have a habit of forgetting their Backpacks. The #LiveFree can come with (an optional) Chipolo Bluetooth tracker that has a dedicated pocket at the top of the pack.
Using the custom-built app , which is a tailored version of the original Chipolo App with Knomo labelling, you can locate your pack within 30ft of your phone. If you, or it, has managed to go out of Bluetooth range you can make use of the Chipolo community. If another Chipolo user comes within 30ft of your pack it will notify you or your Packs location. You can read more on how Chipolo works on their site.
- 15.6” laptop compartment: and a 10″ tablet or e-reader pocket.
- Cable management: Specially designed elastic straps are built into the main compartment to keep cables tidy and tangle free. There are also two additional mesh zip pockets found on the main flap and front organiser panel, perfect for storing headphones or loose cables.
- Padded shoulder straps: Ergonomically designed with a refined style to look after your back and shoulders. Constructed from hard-wearing, herringbone weave nylon and filled with springy EVA foam, the shoulder straps are comfortable without looking bulky, and are perfectly placed to distribute weight evenly.
- Quick release buckles: We created custom-made quick release buckles, intuitively designed to adjust to your frame.
- Secure fast closure G-clips: Bespoke G-shaped hardware keeps the main flap closed tight. Held in place through the leather loops, the hooks can be easily released for quick access to the main compartment.
- Side pockets: One side pocket is designed to perfectly fit the DropGo charging system, and the other side pocket to attach your keys and carry a 500ml water bottle.
- Air-flow back panel: A two-part system to provide the most comfortable wear and allow a constant flow of air between the #LiveFree Backpack and your body.
- Ergonomic grab handle: Bespoke KNOMO design that’s been refined over time to give the most comfortable grip possible, crafted from a single piece of vegetable tan leather.
- Pocket with RFID blocking: Essential for storing contactless bank cards and passports so that you won’t have to worry about identity theft.
- Dimensions: Height: 410mm, Width: 330mm, Depth: 210mm
- Capacity: 19.5 litres
- Weight: 1.36kg
- Materials: Waxed cotton canvas with vegetable tan leather accents.
- Choice of Two Colours: Black/Tan/Orange or Navy/Tan/Green
The #LiveFree Backpack starts at £175 (£249 RRP after the Kickstarter campaign) for the basic Pack.
Adding the Chipolo tracker takes it to £189 (£270 RRP after the Kickstarter campaign).
The full #LiveFree BackPack with DropGo Wireless charging + Chipolo tracker is £222 (£369 RRP after the Kickstarter campaign).